Mussels with salsa verde and olive oil chips
- February 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 45 min
A sharp salsa verde gives a smart update to a thrifty supper of moules frites – aka mussels and chips!
- 19.5g (2.9g saturated)
- 50.8g (5.1g sugars)
- 1kg maris piper potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100ml dry white wine
- 1.5kg mussels, cleaned and de-bearded (see Know-how)
For the salsa verde
- Large handful fresh soft herbs, such as parsley, mint and basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
You’ll also need…
- Large stock pot or flameproof casserole with a tight-fitting lid
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Cut the potatoes into thin chips (leave the skins on if you like) and toss with 2 tbsp of the olive oil, then spread on a large baking tray. Sprinkle with salt and cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the salsa verde in a small bowl, season and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot/casserole over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Turn up the heat, add the wine and bring to the boil, then add the mussels, cover immediately with the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until all the mussels have opened.
- Discard any unopened mussels (see Know-how), then stir in the salsa verde. Serve in warmed soup bowls with the chips alongside.
Scrub the mussels under cold running water and pull off any thread-like ‘beards’. Discard raw mussels with broken shells or open mussels that don’t close when tapped firmly on the work surface. Once they’re cooked, discard any that haven’t opened.
Rate & review
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...