Dairy-free mussels mouclade
- September 2004
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 40 mins
This mussels mouclade recipe is a dairy-free version of a classic dish from France.
If you’d like to see a more traditional version, then take a look at Rick Stein’s La Mouclade recipe.
- 34.3g (5.3g saturated)
- 11g (4g sugars)
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200ml dry white wine
- 1kg cleaned mussels, rinsed well and beards removed (discard any that are cracked or don’t close when tapped)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 250ml soya cream
- 2 tbsp fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Soak the saffron threads in 2 tablespoons of boiling water until ready to use. Heat the oil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid and cook the shallots and garlic on a gentle heat until soft but not coloured. Pour in the wine and bring to the boil, then simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in the mussels, cover, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Check the mussels are open, then drain into a colander set over a large bowl. Discard any mussels that are still closed.
- Leave the mussel liquor to rest for 1 minute, so that any sediment sinks to the bottom of the bowl, then carefully pour it into the pan leaving the sediment behind. Rinse out the bowl, tip the mussels in and cover to keep warm. Simmer the mussel liquor for 8 minutes to reduce by half.
- Whisk the egg yolk, flour and curry powder together in a bowl and gradually blend in the soya cream and the saffron and its water. Tip the mixture into the pan with the mussel liquor, stir and bring to a simmer. Add the mussels and stir to combine. Stir in the chopped parsley. Serve in soup bowls with hunks of fresh crusty bread.
Save time by buying pre-cleaned mussels.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter