No-bake sticky toffee apple tart
- August 2005
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 8 eating apples, peeled, cored and cut into slices
- 100g butter
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 4 tbsp single cream or canned extra thick cream
For the biscuit base
- 50g butter
- 12 digestive biscuits
- Put the lemon juice into a large bowl. Add the apples and toss in the juice – this prevents the apples from going brown.
- Melt the 100g butter in a 25cm non-stick frying pan over a low heat. Add the sugar and cream, and cook for a few minutes, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Add the apples and lemon juice to the pan and cook for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the apples are tender, browned and have a sticky toffee coating. Set aside.
- Make the biscuit base. Put the butter into a pan and heat to melt. Put the biscuits into a plastic bag and bash with a wooden spoon to crush, then put into a bowl. Pour in the melted butter and stir to combine. Sprinkle on top of the apples in the pan and press down with the wooden spoon. Leave to firm up for about 10 minutes. It’s easiest to serve this straight from the pan, though make sure you serve each portion with the fruit on top. Serve drizzled with some cream for a full-on feast.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter