Omelette Arnold Bennett
- March 2012
- Serves 2
- Ready in 20 minute
Recreate the famous Savoy omelette recipe of eggs with smoked haddock and cheese.
- 100g crème fraîche
- 200ml milk
- 1 pack smoked haddock fillets (around 275g)
- 15g unsalted butter, plus a generous knob extra
- 15g flour
- 40g parmigiano reggiano
- 5 medium free-range eggs
- Bunch of fresh chives, snipped, and crusty bread to serve
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Put the críÂme fraí¬che and milk in a wide pan and warm gently. Add the fish, bring to a gentle simmer and poach for 5 minutes until just cooked.
- Remove the fish and set aside. Strain the poaching liquid into a jug. When the fish is cool enough to handle, flake into chunks and set aside. Melt the 15g butter in a separate pan over a low heat and stir in the flour.
- Gradually add 200ml of the poaching liquid, stirring until you have a smooth sauce. Simmer for 1 minute, leave to cool, then carefully fold in half the cheese and half the fish. Separate one of the eggs. Whisk the white into soft peaks, then carefully fold through the haddock mixture and set aside.
- Beat the remaining eggs and egg yolk together with a little seasoning. Heat a 25cm non-stick ovenproof frying pan over a medium-high heat. Melt the extra knob of butter, then pour in the beaten egg and let it settle for 20 seconds.
- Reduce the heat and draw the edges in, tipping the pan to let the egg fill the gaps around the edge. Scatter over the remaining haddock and spread the creamy haddock mixture over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and cook under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes until risen and golden. Scatter with chives and serve with crusty bread.
Novelist Arnold Bennett was so delighted with an egg, smoked haddock and parmesan concoction that chefs at the Savoy created for him, he insisted on it being made wherever he travelled.Omelette Arnold Bennett still remains a standard dish at The Savoy to this day.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Masala omelette with spinach and soured cream dressing
Chetna Makan has spiced up a classic omelette, topped it with spinach, then finished it...