Orange and cranberry torte
- December 2008
- Serves 10-12
- Takes 20 min to make, 50 min - 1 hour to cook, plus cooling
This is a deliciously moist torte recipe, which you can make the day before to enjoy the full flavour of the spicy syrup.
- 55g (6.7g saturated)
- 41.7g (38.4g sugar)
- Butter, for greasing
- 350g ground almonds
- 350g caster sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 8 large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 400ml sunflower oil
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 200g dried cranberries, plus extra to decorate
- 3 cloves
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/fan160°c/gas 4. Grease and line a 23cm springform cake tin. In a bowl, combine the ground almonds, 300g of the caster sugar, 2 tsp of the cinnamon and the baking powder. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs and sunflower oil, mixing together. Mix in the citrus zests and dried cranberries.
- Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 50 minutes-1 hour or until a fine skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, gently heat the citrus juices in a pan with the remaining sugar, cloves and remaining cinnamon until the sugar dissolves, then increase the heat to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and pierce a few times with a skewer. Drizzle over the citrus syrup and leave for 1 hour to soak in. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and decorate with extra dried cranberries. Serve with pouring cream.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Make-ahead summer dessert recipes
Ricotta torte with nectarines, honey and walnut drizzle
This summery nectarine dessert recipe tastes works with peaches or apricots just as well. You...