Ricotta torte with almonds
- September 2015
- Serves 6-8
- Hands on time 10 min, oven time 35 min
The Italians have a love affair with puddings made with candied peel, nuts and creamy cheeses. This cake goes exceptionally well with a strong coffee after a meal, or as a pick-me-up in the afternoon.
- 22.8g (7g saturated)
- 35.8g (27.4g sugars)
- 150g flaked or whole almonds
- Butter for greasing
- 50g piece croissant or brioche
- 6 medium free-range eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest 1 orange
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 500g fresh ricotta
- 200g candied peel, finely chopped
- Icing sugar to dust
- 23cm springform cake tin
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas 4. Put the almonds on a baking sheet, then toast in the oven for 8-10 minutes until golden brown, giving them a shake once or twice to stop them burning. Butter a 23cm springform tin. In a food processor, whizz the almonds and croissant/ brioche to coarse crumbs.
- Put a handful of the mixture into the buttered tin and turn the tin repeatedly, shaking, to dust the sides and bottom with a light crumb-like coating. Shake out any excess and set aside with the rest of the mixture for later.
- Put the eggs and sugar in the food processor and blend for several minutes until the mixture turns paler and frothy. Add the citrus zests, the remaining nut mixture, ricotta and candied peel, then blend very briefly to lightly combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin (it will be runny) and bake for about 35 minutes or until the cake just feels firm to the touch. Cool in the tin, then turn out and serve, dusted with icing sugar, at room temperature.
Make up to 2 days ahead. Keep in an airtight container at room temperature.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
July seasonal recipes
Ricotta and buttermilk pancakes with blueberry and orange butter
Breakfast, brunch or pudding – this blueberry ricotta pancake recipe never goes amiss. Whip a...
Italian dessert recipes
Ricotta filo tart with figs, rum and toasted coconut
Fresh figs always make an impressive dish. Place on top of a creamy rum and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...