Orange cream cheese flans
- January 2006
- 375g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1 large whole egg and 3 medium eggs, separated
- 2 packs Discover Orange Halo cream cheese
- Zest of 1 medium orange
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 142ml carton double cream
- 150g plain chocolate
- 6 physalis (cape gooseberries)
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan180_/gas 6. Roll out the pastry and use to line 6 x 9cm fluted loose-bottomed flan tins. Prick the bases, cover the pastry with baking paper and top with baking beans. Bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove the baking beans and paper. Transfer a very small amount of egg white to a bowl and use to brush the inside of the pastry cases to seal them. Return to the oven and bake for a further 3 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160C/fan140C/gas 3. Cream the Orange Halo with the orange zest and caster sugar, then slowly mix in the cream until loose and creamy. Mix in the whole egg and the egg yolks. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Carefully fold into the cheese mixture, a little at a time.
- Divide equally between the flan cases and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden. Cool for 30 minutes, remove from the tins and place on a cooling rack. Leave to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Fill a greaseproof paper cone with two-thirds of the chocolate and snip a little off the end. Drizzle the chocolate in zig-zag lines over the top of each flan. Unfold the husk of each physalis and twist in one direction. Dip the fruit into the remaining chocolate and lay on a sheet of greaseproof paper. Chill. Decorate each flan with a physalis and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Discover Pineapple Halo can be used as a substitute for the Orange Halo – just leave out the orange zest.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter