Pan-fried fillets of sea bass with creamed fennel
- April 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 40 min
Serve this easy, restaurant-style dish of crispy-skinned sea bass with creamy fennel, created by Eckington Manor Cookery School, at your next dinner party.
Fancy something a little different? Take a look at this light and zesty sea bass ceviche recipe.
- 54.3g (23.1g saturated)
- 10.2g (8.2g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, very finely sliced
- 150ml dry white wine
- 4 fresh tarragon sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 200ml double cream
- Juice ½ lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 10g unsalted butter
- 4 sustainable sea bass fillets, skin on (about 200g each)
- Heat a glug of oil in a heavy-based pan (one with a lid) over a medium heat. Fry the onions and fennel for about 20 minutes until soft. Add the white wine and tarragon and reduce for 3-4 minutes until almost evaporated.
- Add the cream and bubble for 6-7 minutes to reduce by three quarters and thicken. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Put the lid on the pan and set aside while you prepare the fish.
- In a frying pan that’s large enough for the fish fillets (or in two smaller pans), heat a glug of oil and the butter over a medium-high heat. Fry the fish skin-side down for 4 minutes, then turn and fry for 1½ minutes until the flesh feels firm and is opaque. Serve the fish, skin-side up, with the creamy fennel and lemon wedges.
Eckington Manor cookery school makes this with stone bass, but as this fish can sometimes be difficult to find, we used sustainable sea bass as a substitute.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy dinner party mains
Whole sea bass with purple sprouting broccoli, chilli and garlic
Whole sea bass makes an impressive dinner party main –...
Jersey royal new potato recipes
Garlic and sage smashed jersey royals with pan-fried sea bass
Pan-fried sea bass is a perfect match for these golden...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter