Whole sea bass with purple sprouting broccoli, chilli and garlic
- February 2016
- Serves 6 as part of a menu
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 20 min
Whole sea bass makes an impressive dinner party main – this simple recipe uses only a few ingredients, allowing the fresh fish to shine.
If you’re a fan of purple sprouting broccoli, then take a look at this simple way to use the spears to dip into an egg.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 20.5g (4.1g saturated)
- 1.5g (0.9g sugars)
- 1 sustainable whole wild sea bass (around 1.5kg), gutted, scaled and gills removed (ask the fishmonger to do this)
- Olive oil for rubbing, frying and drizzling
- 250g purple sprouting broccoli, thick stems halved lengthways
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ small red chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- Juice ½ lemon, plus extra wedges
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Score the sea bass skin and flesh several times on each side using a sharp knife, season with sea salt and rub with olive oil. Heat the grill to high, put the fish on an oiled, lipped baking sheet and grill for 5 minutes on each side until the skin is crisp and tinged with gold. Put in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes (see tip). To test if it’s done, push a skewer into the thickest part of the fish, normally behind the head, then check the skewer is hot. Put the fish on a serving platter with a few lemon wedges.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli in boiling salted water for 2 minutes then drain and pat dry. While the broccoli is cooking, heat a little olive oil in a medium frying pan and fry the garlic and chilli over a low heat for 2-3 minutes. Increase the heat and add the broccoli. Drizzle with a little more olive oil, add the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, then toss well to combine for about 1 minute. Serve alongside the fish.
Recipe by Sam Willis at Café Murano in Covent Garden
If you don’t have a large griddle pan, cook the fish under a hot grill for 5 minutes on each side, then finish off in the oven as in the recipe.
Rate & review