Pea and pancetta carbonara
- April 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Peas, pasta and pancetta mixed with creamy carbonara sauce… It doesn’t get much better for an inexpensive, crowd-pleasing supper.
Prefer pastry to pasta? Then we’ve got a recipe for you, try this pancetta pea and cheddar tart.
- 27.6g (9.8g saturated)
- 63.5g (5.2g sugars)
- 180g smoked sliced pancetta
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g dried spaghetti or bucatini
- 3 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 50g parmesan, finely grated
- 185g frozen petits pois, defrosted
- A few fresh parsley sprigs, leaves finely chopped
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Put the pancetta on a baking tray lined with foil, then grill for 2 minutes on each side until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low-medium heat and cook the onion for 8 minutes until softened (don’t let it brown). Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes, then turn the heat very low.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente according to the packet instructions, then drain well, reserving a ladleful of the cooking water.
- Add the beaten eggs and most of the parmesan to the onion, stirring for 1 minute. Add the peas, pasta, a pinch of salt and a good grinding of pepper. Turn up the heat slightly and cook, tossing, for 2 minutes. Add a splash of the reserved cooking water if the pasta looks dry. Crumble over the pancetta and sprinkle over the parsley. Top with the remaining parmesan to serve.
Rate & review