Pea and pancetta carbonara
- April 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Peas, pasta and pancetta mixed with creamy carbonara sauce… It doesn’t get much better for an inexpensive, crowd-pleasing supper.
Prefer pastry to pasta? Then we’ve got a recipe for you, try this pancetta pea and cheddar tart.
- 27.6g (9.8g saturated)
- 63.5g (5.2g sugars)
- 180g smoked sliced pancetta
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g dried spaghetti or bucatini
- 3 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 50g parmesan, finely grated
- 185g frozen petits pois, defrosted
- A few fresh parsley sprigs, leaves finely chopped
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Put the pancetta on a baking tray lined with foil, then grill for 2 minutes on each side until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low-medium heat and cook the onion for 8 minutes until softened (don’t let it brown). Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes, then turn the heat very low.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente according to the packet instructions, then drain well, reserving a ladleful of the cooking water.
- Add the beaten eggs and most of the parmesan to the onion, stirring for 1 minute. Add the peas, pasta, a pinch of salt and a good grinding of pepper. Turn up the heat slightly and cook, tossing, for 2 minutes. Add a splash of the reserved cooking water if the pasta looks dry. Crumble over the pancetta and sprinkle over the parsley. Top with the remaining parmesan to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pea, leek, pancetta and Taleggio risotto
Sweet peas and leeks are a perfect match for the salty bacon and cheese in...
Pea, pancetta, feta and mint salad
A fresh, flavourful salad that goes beautifully with roast chicken.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...