Spaghetti with avocado pesto
- July 2005
- Serves 4
- 20 min
Spaghetti with avocado pesto is simple and delicious. A quick and cheap recipe to whip up midweek – best enjoyed al fresco.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 31.5g (6.4g saturated)
- 84.8g (4.2g sugars)
- 450g spaghetti
- 1 under-ripe avocado
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 15g packet fresh basil, roughly torn
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and very finely chopped
- 40g fresh (vegetarian) Parmesan, grated, plus shavings to serve
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add a good pinch of salt and the spaghetti and cook according to packet instructions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, make the avocado pesto. Halve and stone the avocado, scoop out the flesh and put into a food processor. Add the lemon juice, torn basil, chopped garlic and olive oil and pulse briefly to make a rough-textured pesto-like sauce. Stir in the finely chopped red chilli and grated Parmesan, then season to taste.
- Drain the spaghetti, stir in the pesto and check the seasoning. Divide between 4 warm bowls and top with Parmesan shavings to serve.
For the best pesto, use a slightly under-ripe avocado, as it gives a chunkier texture.
Rate & review