Pears in quince syrup
- November 2006
- 100g quince cheese (from Tesco, Waitrose and Sainsbury’s)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 dessert pears
- Put the quince cheese and 500ml boiling water in a wide, deep pan over a medium-low heat. Cook for a few minutes, until the quince has melted. Split the vanilla pod down the middle and scrape the seeds out into the quince syrup. Add the pod to the pan, too.
- Peel the pears, add to the syrup and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the pears are tender – they are ready when a skewer is easily inserted into the centre of the pears.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the poached pears from the quince syrup and put into a dish. Season the syrup with freshly ground black pepper, then pour all over the pears, discarding the vanilla pod.
- Serve the pears while warm or at room temperature with small Italian biscotti and crème fraîche.
Serve with good-quality vanilla ice cream instead of crème fraîche, if you prefer.
Rate & review