Pomegranate molasses chicken with roasted vegetables
- January 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on 30 min, oven 50-60 min, plus marinating
Donal Skehan’s Sunday roast with a difference – a glistening pomegranate roast chicken recipe with roasted winter veg.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 12.3g (2.4g saturated)
- 67.8g (22g sugars)
- 2kg free-range chicken
- 6 tbsp pomegranate molasses (from the world food aisle of supermarkets), plus extra to brush
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 300g bulgur wheat, cooked to packet instructions
- Bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
For the roasted vegetables
- 4 carrots, cut into long batons
- 4 parsnips cut into long batons
- 3 red onions, root left intact, sliced thinly
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- To spatchcock the chicken, put the bird breast-side down on a chopping board. Using sharp meat scissors or poultry shears, cut down each side of the backbone starting at the parson’s nose (main entrance to the cavity). Turn the chicken over and open it out while pushing down to flatten it and break through the wishbone.
- Put the chicken in a resealable plastic bag with the pomegranate molasses, garlic and chilli. Season with salt and pepper, then seal the bag. Move the chicken around in the bag to coat it completely, then leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 and prepare the vegetables. Put the carrots, parsnips and red onions into a large roasting tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then toss to coat. Make space in the centre of the tray, then add the chicken and its marinade.
- Roast for 50-60 minutes until cooked through and the chicken juices run clear when you push a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh. The veg should also be tender. About 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, brush the chicken with more pomegranate molasses and return to the oven.
- Remove the chicken to a chopping board and cover with foil. Add the cooked bulgur wheat to the roasted veg with the parsley and toss to coat.
- If you like, cut the chicken into portions and put on top of the bulgur wheat salad. Take the tray to the table for people to help themselves.
Recipe fromFresh by DonalSkehan (£20;Hodder &Stoughton).
Marinate the chicken up to 48 hours ahead. Prep the carrots and parsnips and keep them in cold water in the fridge. Drain and dry well before cooking. Cook the bulgur wheat up to 24 hours ahead and chill, covered. Heat in a microwave for 1-2 minutes before adding at the end if you want the salad to be hot rather than warm.
Rate & review