Pork and white bean fabada (stew)
- February 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 1 hour 40 minutes to cook, plus overnight soaking
This hearty, healthy Spanish stew recipe contains pork fillet which is low in fat and dried haricot beans which are packed with fibre.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 12.4g (3.4g saturated)
- 40.3g (3.1g sugar)
- 300g dried haricot beans
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 75g smoked bacon lardons, or 150g low-sodium bacon, cut into short, fat strips
- 350g pork fillet, diced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp crushed chillies
- Pinch of saffron
- 150g swiss chard or spring cabbage, cut into 2cm-wide strips
- Place the haricot beans in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak overnight.
- Next day, heat the olive oil in a flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Add the bacon lardons, along with the diced pork fillet, and fry for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned all over. Add the onion and garlic and fry gently until the onion is soft. Add the smoked paprika and crushed chillies and fry for 1 minute more.
- Drain the haricot beans well, rinse well under cold running water, drain again, then add to the casserole with the saffron and 1.4 litres water. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour 20 minutes, stirring now and then, until the liquid has reduced a little, and the pork and beans are tender.
- Stir in the swiss chard or spring cabbage, cover with a lid and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, and serve with some crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...