Puff pastry cherry bakewell tart with amaretto
- August 2013
- Serves 8-10
- Takes 10-15 min to make, 20 minutes to cook, plus chilling
This easy cherry bakewell tart is a real show stopper dessert uses all-butter puff pastry and cherry jam.
- 29g (10.9g saturated)
- 42.8g (30.5g
- 375g block all-butter puff pastry
- Plain flour for dusting
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 1 tbsp double cream
- 175g cherry jam (we like Waitrose morello cherry)
- 600g cherries, stoned
- Icing sugar to dust
For the frangipane
- 185g ground almonds
- 110g golden caster sugar
- 85g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp amaretto liqueur
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 with a baking sheet inside. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a pound coin and cut into a 35cm diameter circle. Stir the egg yolk with the double cream and brush over the pastry. Fold about 2cm of the edge over on itself, crimping so it looks like the edge of a Cornish pasty. Glaze this edge then slide the disc on to a piece of baking paper and chill for 15 minutes.
- To make the frangipane, whizz all the ingredients with a pinch of salt in a food processor to a smooth paste (you can do this by hand in a bowl if the butter is very soft). Remove the pastry from the fridge, prick the base all over with a fork and spread over the jam, right up to the edge. Spread the frangipane on top, leaving a small border of jam. Scatter the cherries over and slide – still on the baking paper – on to the hot baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden and the cherries are cooked and juicy, then remove from the oven, allow to stand for 5-10 minutes, dust with icing sugar and serve.
Rate & review