Quick colcannon with pork schnitzel
- January 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
When you’re in need of a hearty midweek meal, our colcannon with pork schnitzel recipe is a comforting shortcut supper that’s quick and easy to make.
- 27.5g(8.8g saturated)
- 52.6g(3.5g sugars)
- 100g kale, roughly chopped
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 large leeks, finely sliced (use most of the green)
- 4 British free-range pork loin steaks
- 100g plain flour, seasoned
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 150g dried breadcrumbs
- 25g butter, plus extra for frying
- 600g ready-made mashed potato
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Put the chopped kale in a colander in the sink and pour over a kettle of boiling water, then leave to drain dry.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the leeks for about 10 minutes until soft. Add the kale and cook for 2-3 minutes more until tender.
- Meanwhile, put the pork loin steaks between 2 sheets of baking paper and flatten slightly with a rolling pin. Put the seasoned flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs in 3 wide bowls. Dip the pork steaks in the flour, shaking off the excess, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs. Heat a large knob of butter and a drizzle of oil in another large frying pan and, when the butter is foaming, fry the pork schnitzels for 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden brown.
- Stir the mashed potato into the leeks and kale, then cook for 3-4 minutes until the potato is very hot. Season generously and serve with the pork schnitzels and lemon wedges.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy fish recipes
Breaded harissa cod with lemon and red onion couscous
A super healthy cod recipe – with a spicy harissa breadcrumb topping – comes served...