Quick colcannon with pork schnitzel
- January 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
When you’re in need of a hearty midweek meal, our colcannon with pork schnitzel recipe is a comforting shortcut supper that’s quick and easy to make.
- 27.5g(8.8g saturated)
- 52.6g(3.5g sugars)
- 100g kale, roughly chopped
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 large leeks, finely sliced (use most of the green)
- 4 British free-range pork loin steaks
- 100g plain flour, seasoned
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 150g dried breadcrumbs
- 25g butter, plus extra for frying
- 600g ready-made mashed potato
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Put the chopped kale in a colander in the sink and pour over a kettle of boiling water, then leave to drain dry.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the leeks for about 10 minutes until soft. Add the kale and cook for 2-3 minutes more until tender.
- Meanwhile, put the pork loin steaks between 2 sheets of baking paper and flatten slightly with a rolling pin. Put the seasoned flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs in 3 wide bowls. Dip the pork steaks in the flour, shaking off the excess, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs. Heat a large knob of butter and a drizzle of oil in another large frying pan and, when the butter is foaming, fry the pork schnitzels for 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden brown.
- Stir the mashed potato into the leeks and kale, then cook for 3-4 minutes until the potato is very hot. Season generously and serve with the pork schnitzels and lemon wedges.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
30-minute meal recipes
Pork piccata with mashed potatoes and roast apples
Piccata is an Italian dish of chicken escalope, dredged in...
Pork schnitzels with apple and red cabbage sauerkraut
This traditional German recipe of pork schnitzels with sauerkraut makes...
Dinner ideas for two
Tom Kerridge’s pork schnitzel with ‘executive’ fried duck egg
Tom Kerridge knows how to make mouthwatering food. This schnitzel...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter