Refried beans baked with green rice and eggs
- June 2017
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 30 min
Fragrant, spiced herby rice is covered with a hearty layer of refried beans, tomatoes and eggs. Top with avocado, seeds and hot sauce and this recipe, from Elly Pear, makes for the perfect brunch or midweek dinner.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 22.4g (4.4g saturated)
- 62g (6.8g sugars)
- 200g cooked rice (we like short-grain brown, but use whichever rice you prefer; or cook 100g rice according to the packet instructions)
- Unsalted butter to grease
- 400g tin refried beans (refried black beans if you can find them)
- 175g ripe, mixed colour cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 large free-range eggs
For the green paste
- 20g fresh coriander, chopped, including stalks
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp pickled jalapeño slices, drained
- 25g cavolo nero or kale, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 heaped tbsp pumpkin seeds
- ¼ ripe avocado
- Small handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Hot sauce (such as sriracha)
You’ll also need…
- 20cm x 15cm ovenproof dish
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Put all the green paste ingredients in a food processor with a pinch of salt and whizz until the mixture forms a rough paste. If you don’t have a food processor, chop the ingredients as finely as you can and mix with the oil or pound to a paste in a pestle and mortar.
- Put the cooked rice in a bowl, add the paste and mix until everything is evenly combined.
- Grease the base and sides of the oven dish with butter. Spoon the rice mixture into the dish and spread into an even layer. Spread the refried beans on top, then scatter with the cherry tomatoes. Use the back of a spoon to make indentations for the eggs, then crack them in.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the egg whites are just set. Meanwhile, toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes until starting to burst, shaking the pan often, then remove from the heat. Slice the avocado. When the eggs are done, remove the dish from the oven, top with avocado, coriander and toasted pumpkin seeds, add a shake or two of hot sauce, then serve.
To make this recipe dairy free, grease the dish with oil instead of butter.
Rate & review