Roast parsnips with almond, sorrel and watercress sauce
- October 2017
- Serves 4
- 35 min
Olia Hercules’ sweet roasted parsnips are really brought to life by the fresh, bright green sauce. It’s a wonderfully vibrant side dish, and perfect in early summer when sorrel and watercress are at their seasonal best.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 24.1g (2g saturated)
- 22.4g (10.6g sugars)
- 700g baby or young parsnips, peeled and halved
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
For the watercress sauce
- 50g whole blanched almonds
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 30g fresh flatleaf parsley
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 50g sorrel, leaves and stalks, roughly chopped (or 50g spinach and juice 1 lemon)
- 100g watercress, roughly chopped
- Lemon juice to taste
- Put the parsnips in a large pan of cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 7-8 minutes until tender enough to be easily pierced with the tip of a knife – some parsnips are tougher than others, so check regularly and remove them as they’re ready. Pat dry with kitchen paper and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180° fan/gas 6. Put the oil in a roasting tray and put in the oven to heat up for a few minutes. When the oil is sizzling, gently add the parsnips to the tray – you should hear a satisfying sizzling sound. Roast the parsnips, shaking the tray once or twice, for 30 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Whizz the almonds in a food processor until they release their oils and form a smooth paste. Add the garlic, parsley, a good pinch of flaky sea salt and half the oil. Whizz to combine, then add the sorrel (or spinach and lemon juice) and watercress, and whizz again, trickling in the rest of the oil, until smooth. (If you don’t have a food processor, use a pestle and mortar and grind to a pesto-like consistency.) Season with a little salt or lemon juice to taste and add a little water if the sauce is too thick. Serve the parsnips topped with the sauce.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Parsnip and Jerusalem artichoke bake
This easy parsnip and Jerusalem artichoke bake makes a a splendid veggie main course, ideal...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...