Roast turkey with stuffing-filled onions
- January 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 2½ hours in the oven, plus resting.
This easy roast turkey recipe is cooked with lemon and tarragon and served with onions stuffed with ready-made sausagemeat.
- 6 small red onions
- 450g pack sausagemeat stuffing
- 4kg whole turkey (giblets discarded).
- A few fresh tarragon sprigs
- 100g softened butter
- grated zest of ½ lemon
- A handful chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Scoop the centres from the red onions with a teaspoon to leave a 2-layer shell (reserve a few of the onion centres). Stuff the onions with ⅓ of the sausagemeat stuffing.
- Stuff the neck end of the turkey (giblets discarded) with the remaining stuffing and put in a roasting tin. Push a few fresh tarragon sprigs and the reserved onion centres into the body cavity and season.
- Mix the softened butter with the zest of the lemon, and the tarragon leaves. Smear the rest over the turkey. Cover with foil and roast for 2½ hours (or 20 minutes per kg, plus 70 minutes).
- About 40 minutes before it’s ready, add the stuffed onions to the tin and roast, uncovered, until turkey is cooked. Put the turkey and onions on a platter, cover and rest.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas turkey recipes
Buttered turkey with porcini and sourdough stuffing
Looking for a Christmas turkey with juicy meat and crisp skin? This buttered Christmas turkey...