Classic (and easy) roast turkey
- January 2009
- Serves 8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 3 hours 20 minutes to cook, plus 1 hour’s sitting
Try a fuss-free, easy Christmas turkey recipe made simply with lemons, goose fat, onions and rosemary. It’s a festive turkey classic.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 7.9g (4g saturated)
- 6.8g (4.4g sugars)
- 5kg fresh free-range turkey
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 50g goose fat
- 6 onions, quartered
- Large bunch of fresh rosemary
- Season inside the turkey with a little salt and black pepper, then pop in the lemon quarters. Leave to sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Weigh the turkey and calculate the cooking time at 20 minutes per 500g (so a 5kg turkey will take 3 hours 20 minutes).
- Grease the tin with a little of the goose fat, then arrange the onions and rosemary sprigs over the base. Sit the turkey on top, then spread the bird with the remaining goose fat and season with salt.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Cover the breast of the turkey with foil and cook in the oven for the calculated cooking time, basting with the juices occasionally.
- About 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the foil (add the stuffing balls to the tin at this stage, see p66) and return the turkey to the oven. Check it’s cooked through by pushing a skewer into the thickest parts of the thighs. If the juices are still pink and not clear, return to the oven for a further 15 minutes before testing again.
- Transfer the turkey to a board and cover tightly with buttered foil. Leave to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Present on a platter lined with herbs (we used rosemary and bay leaves) and arrange stuffing balls around. Serve with aïoli and/or a gravy.
Using goose fat is the best way to get a crispy finish to both your Christmas bird and roast potatoes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas turkey recipes
Spiced roast turkey with pork, cardamom and cashew stuffing
Revamp your traditional stuffed Christmas turkey with this exotically spiced nut stuffing and homemade gravy....
More food for thought...
Christmas turkey recipes
The showstopper of Christmas Day is always the...
Turkey is for life, not just for Christmas....
Take your pick from our best gravy recipes,...
Make-ahead Christmas starters
Need a festive head-start? Don't we all. Here's...
Make-ahead Christmas sides
Don't spend Christmas Day in the kitchen, use...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...