Rocky road Easter egg
- April 2011
- Makes 1 egg, serves 6
- Hands on time 30 mins, 5 mins cooking time, plus chilling
Need something to occupy the kids over the Easter holidays? This homemade Easter egg filled with jelly beans is great fun for beginners.
Want to push the envelope? Paul A Young’s homemade Easter eggs filled with spiced salted caramel are a chocolatey challenge that will make your Easter one to remember. We’ve got Easter egg recipes for all skill levels on our Easter egg collection page.
- 43.6g (25.6g saturated)
- 96.8g (75g sugars)
- 350g good-quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 110g unsalted butter, chopped
- 40g nibbed pistachios
- 75g dried sour cherries
- 100g shortbread biscuits, broken into pieces
- 50g white chocolate buttons
- 100g jelly beans, plus 75g for inside and extra to serve
- 2 ready-made meringue nests (about 25g total), broken into pieces
- Slowly melt 300g of the chocolate with the syrup and butter in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Remove from the heat, stir, then cool for 10 minutes. Stir through the remaining ingredients (apart from the rest of the chocolate and extra jelly beans) to coat.
- Spread the rocky road mix evenly over the insides of each half of a large, smooth Easter egg mould (see tip). (If you have a flat-backed mould, you can suspend the halves over bowls.) If the edges aren’t smooth – meaning the halves won’t join neatly – you can repair them once they have hardened slightly in the fridge. Keep any leftover mix in a warm place in case you need it later.
- Chill for at least 45 minutes or until set. Carefully unmould.
- Melt the remaining chocolate in the microwave or over a pan of barely simmering water. Brush over the edges of the egg halves. Fill one half with jelly beans, then bring the halves together and brush more melted chocolate on the outside to seal. Fill any gaps with a little of the reserved mixture, then chill to set.
- To serve, slice off the top with a sharp knife so the jelly beans tumble out. Serve with extra jelly beans if you like.
Buy smooth giant 3D Easter egg moulds (157mm x 114mm) at sugarshack.co.uk.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...