Rogan josh-braised chicken
- March 2010
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 15 minutes plus about 2¾ hours cooking time
This one-pot braising recipe for Indian-style chicken is a low-calorie dish that makes a unusual alternative to a Sunday roast.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 12.6g (2g saturated)
- 9.7g (6.5g sugar)
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock, hot
- 1.8kg free-range chicken
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Heat 4 tbsp of the olive oil in a heavy-based casserole (big enough to contain the chicken) with a tight-fitting lid. Add the onion and celery and fry for 5 minutes until beginning to turn golden. Add the garlic and ginger; fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the spices to the casserole and fry for a minute, then pour in the tomatoes and stock. Season well, then lower the chicken into the pot. Season, cover with the lid and cook in the oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove the lid of the casserole and brush the skin of the chicken with the remaining olive oil. Baste with the juices and return to the oven, uncovered, for 1 hour more until the chicken’s skin is golden.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the casserole, making sure to tip out any juices from inside the cavity, and place on a warmed serving plate to rest, loosely covered in foil. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until it’s thick and luscious. Serve with the chicken and some steamed rice.
When using a slow-cooker, fry the onion, celery, garlic, ginger and all the dry spices in a little oil for a few minutes and place in a slow cooker with the tomatoes and stock. Season and add the chicken to the slow cooker. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...