Rogan josh-braised chicken
- March 2010
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 15 minutes plus about 2¾ hours cooking time
This one-pot braising recipe for Indian-style chicken is a low-calorie dish that makes a unusual alternative to a Sunday roast.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 12.6g (2g saturated)
- 9.7g (6.5g sugar)
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock, hot
- 1.8kg free-range chicken
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Heat 4 tbsp of the olive oil in a heavy-based casserole (big enough to contain the chicken) with a tight-fitting lid. Add the onion and celery and fry for 5 minutes until beginning to turn golden. Add the garlic and ginger; fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the spices to the casserole and fry for a minute, then pour in the tomatoes and stock. Season well, then lower the chicken into the pot. Season, cover with the lid and cook in the oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove the lid of the casserole and brush the skin of the chicken with the remaining olive oil. Baste with the juices and return to the oven, uncovered, for 1 hour more until the chicken’s skin is golden.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the casserole, making sure to tip out any juices from inside the cavity, and place on a warmed serving plate to rest, loosely covered in foil. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until it’s thick and luscious. Serve with the chicken and some steamed rice.
When using a slow-cooker, fry the onion, celery, garlic, ginger and all the dry spices in a little oil for a few minutes and place in a slow cooker with the tomatoes and stock. Season and add the chicken to the slow cooker. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken breast recipes
Raymond Blanc’s chicken and mushrooms in wine sauce
This classic chicken recipe from famous French chef Raymond Blanc, made with morel mushrooms and...
Chocolate custard eggs
Kids will love helping to make – then eat – these quick chocolate custard Easter...