Romanian chicken and gherkin stew
- August 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 30 min
This recipe for Romanian chicken stew comes from blogger Irina Georgescu. Although she has made the UK her home, it’s her Romanian culinary heritage – and especially her mum’s cooking – that remain her source of pride and inspiration. Give this fantastic one-pot a go, made with gherkins and dill, and serve with crusty bread for mopping up all the delicious juices.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 5.9g (1.2g saturated)
- 15.0g (12.7g sugars)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 skinless, boneless free-range chicken thighs
- 3 red onions, finely sliced
- 100ml dry white wine
- 250ml chicken stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 700g gherkins (drained weight), sliced into rounds
- 20g fresh dill, chopped
- Crusty bread to serve
- Heat the oil in a casserole over a medium heat, then add the chicken and brown for 5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add the onions to the same pan, stirring to coat in the oil and scraping up any sticky bits at the bottom of the pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes until softened and translucent.
- Add the white wine, bubble for 1 minute, then add the stock and the browned chicken thighs. Cover with the lid and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar and gherkins, stir gently, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. If it starts to dry out, add a splash of water – the stew should be juicy around the edges but not watery. It’s ready once the chicken has cooked through and the gherkins are soft in the middle but retain a slight crunch.
- Just before serving, stir in most of the dill, season to taste, then spoon into warmed bowls and sprinkle the remaining dill over the top. Serve with bread to soak up all the delicious juices.
The pickled gherkins in this dish call for a tangy, fairly acidic white such as a French sauvignon blanc.
Rate & review
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...