Spring veg and chicken stew
- May 2010
- Serves 6
- Takes 25 min to make, 30 min to cook
This delightful chicken stew recipe is made with home-made red pesto and lots of fresh greens. It’s suitable for freezing.
- 19.6g (5.4g saturated
- 18.1g (4g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 thin slices pancetta, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml dry white wine
- 600ml chicken stock, hot
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets, each chopped into 6 pieces
- 250g baby new potatoes
- 125g green beans
- 100g baby broad beans
- 100g peas
- 3 tbsp Red pesto
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a shallow casserole and gently cook the pancetta until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the fennel, shallots and garlic to the pan with the butter and cook for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the flour and cook for just a minute, then slowly stir in the wine and stock. Bring to a simmer then add the chicken, pancetta and potatoes and cook for 10 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked.
- Add the green beans, broad beans and peas and simmer for 6 minutes, then stir in 2 tbsp Red pesto and season. Serve in bowls, topped with ½ tsp additional pesto and a good sprinkling of fresh flatleaf parsley.
To freeze: leave out the pesto and parsley and cool. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost completely, then reheat, adding the pesto and parsley.
Rate & review