Beetroot, potato and red onion salad
- December 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 35-40 min
A healthy beetroot side salad recipe – made with potato, red onion and a zingy lemon dressing – that goes with almost anything.
How about serving it with our pomegranate and za’atar roast chicken recipe?
- Vegetarian recipes
- 11.6g (1.6g saturated)
- 39.8g (22.6g sugars)
- 500g raw beetroot, peeled (wear rubber gloves) and cut into chunks
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar, plus an extra pinch
- 400g small waxy potatoes (such as charlotte), cut into chunks the same size as the beetroot
- 1 red onion, very finely sliced
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 50g raisins
- Handful fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the beetroot in a baking tray and toss with 2 tbsp of the olive oil, the caraway seeds and 1 tbsp dark brown sugar. Season, then roast for 35-40 minutes until tender and caramelised. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pan of water to the boil, then cook the potatoes for 12 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- Put the sliced onion in a bowl and cover with just-boiled water, then soak for 2 minutes. Drain, then return to the bowl and toss with a pinch of salt and the lemon juice. Set aside for 20 minutes or until the onion is bright pink.
- Drain the liquid from the onion into a small jug, then whisk in the red wine vinegar, the extra pinch of sugar and the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil until emulsified. Season well.
- Toss the cooled beetroot and potatoes in a large bowl with the dressing, then stir in the onion, lemon zest, raisins and parsley.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...