Salami and sun-dried tomato pretzel rolls
- April 2017
- Makes 40
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 12-15 min
If you like sausage rolls, you’re going to love these spicy ‘nduja and salami pretzel rolls. They’re great for a picnic, but best served with a drink for an easy canapé.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 1.5g (0.6g saturated)
- 4.8g (0.1g sugars)
Per pretzel roll
- 2 x 220g packs frozen Northern Dough Co pizza dough or similar (from Booths, Waitrose), defrosted
- Flour to dust (optional)
- 2 tsp ‘nduja
- 2 tsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 90g pack milano Italian salami
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves finely chopped
- 1 litre freshly boiled water
- 4 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- Rock salt to sprinkle (optional)
- Unwrap the 2 balls of dough, then stretch them along the work surface (lightly dust if needed) to give 2 lengths roughly 4cm wide by 40cm long. Make a groove all the way down the centre of each length with the back of a teaspoon, then spread 1 tsp ’nduja and 1 tsp tomato paste along each groove. Top with halved pieces of salami (you won’t need it all) and a sprinkling of the rosemary. Fold over along the whole length, pinching the edges of the dough together to seal in the filling.
- Turn the dough over so the seal is underneath, then cut each piece into 20 equal rolls.
- Pour boiling water into a large deep pan, then add the bicarb – it will bubble up. Carefully drop the rolls into the water in batches of 10 and cook for 10 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on kitchen paper, then transfer to 2 baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Scatter over the salt and the remaining rosemary. Chill until ready to bake.
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Bake the pretzel rolls for 12-15 minutes until deep golden brown. Leave to cool slightly before serving.
Make the rolls up to the end of step 3, then bake fresh to serve. If you’re making the whole menu and don’t have a double oven, bake the day before, cool, wrap and chill. Warm in the oven for 5-10 minutes before serving.
’Nduja is a soft, spicy Italian sausage from Calabria, available from large supermarkets and good delis.
Rate & review