Sausage and fennel ragù with orecchiette
- September 2021
- Serves 3-4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Looking for an easy sausage pasta recipe? This hearty orecchiette with a flavour-packed sausage and fennel ragù is ideal for busy nights.
Open packet of orecchiette to use up? Try it in our orecchiette with burrata, tomatoes and garlic recipe.
- 29.2g (9.7g saturated)
- 58.1g (7.1g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 good quality pork sausages, casings removed, broken into small chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced, green tops/fronds reserved
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 150ml white wine
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 250g orecchiette
You’ll also need
- Large sauté pan
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over a medium-high heat. Add the sausagemeat and cook, stirring from time to time, for 10 minutes or until turning crispy and brown.
- Lower the heat a little, add the onion and fennel to the pan, then cook for 5 minutes until golden and softening. Add the garlic and chilli flakes, then cook for a minute more. Pour in the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to lift any caramelised stuck-on flavour, then simmer for 5 minutes until the wine has almost completely reduced. Stir in the mustard.
- Meanwhile, cook the orecchiette according to the pack instructions, then drain, reserving about 250ml of the pasta water.
- Over a high heat, add the cooked pasta to the ragù along with just enough pasta water to create a light sauce, then mix. Sprinkle with black pepper and the reserved fennel fronds. Serve with a big green salad, if you like.
FLAVOUR BOOST Add ½ tsp fennel seeds to the onion to boost the fennel flavour. Toss the pasta with a handful of freshly chopped tarragon and basil and a squeeze of lemon juice, if you have any to hand.
Rate & review