Beef, veal and Italian sausage ragu
- May 2014
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 50g fatty pancetta, not smoked, finely sliced
- 2 celery sticks, very finely chopped
- 2 carrots, very finely chopped
- 100g minced rose veal
- 100g minced beef
- 100g fresh luganega Italian sausage, or if you canäó»t find it use a good quality British sausage
- 200ml good quality red wine (Joe likes Italian sangiovese)
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 500ml light beef stock
- Fresh egg tagliatelle
- 12 month aged grana padano, grated, to serve
- In a pan over a low heat, fry the onion with a little of the olive oil and the pancetta for 10 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and fry for about 15 minutes until translucent.
- In separate pan, fry and lightly season the meat until browned (see tip). Drain off any fat and liquid in to a bowl.
- Add the meat to the fried veg and pancetta and cook together for 5 minutes. Add the wine, and cook until absorbed and evaporated. Stir in the tomato purée.
- Gradually add the stock and simmer very gently for 1 hour. Taste and season, then serve with tagliatelle and grated grana padano.
The cooked ragí_ will keep, covered, in the fridge for 3 days, or you can freeze for up to 3 months.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...