Beef, veal and Italian sausage ragu
- May 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 40 min. Simmering time 1 hour
This rich bolognese recipe is packed with flavour and made from a mixture of beef and rose veal mince, plus Italian sausage and red wine.
Looking for a classic beef mince ragu? Try Donal Skehan’s easy bolognese sauce.
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 50g fatty pancetta, not smoked, finely sliced
- 2 celery sticks, very finely chopped
- 2 carrots, very finely chopped
- 100g minced rose veal
- 100g minced beef
- 100g fresh luganega Italian sausage, or if you canäó»t find it use a good quality British sausage
- 200ml good quality red wine (Joe likes Italian sangiovese)
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 500ml light beef stock
- Fresh egg tagliatelle
- 12 month aged grana padano, grated, to serve
- In a pan over a low heat, fry the onion with a little of the olive oil and the pancetta for 10 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and fry for about 15 minutes until translucent.
- In separate pan, fry and lightly season the meat until browned (see tip). Drain off any fat and liquid in to a bowl.
- Add the meat to the fried veg and pancetta and cook together for 5 minutes. Add the wine, and cook until absorbed and evaporated. Stir in the tomato purée.
- Gradually add the stock and simmer very gently for 1 hour. Taste and season, then serve with tagliatelle and grated grana padano.
The cooked ragí_ will keep, covered, in the fridge for 3 days, or you can freeze for up to 3 months.
Rate & review