Sicilian sausage ragù with penne
- January 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook
Use up leftover sausages in this simple satisfying pasta recipe.
- 31.9g (14g saturated)
- 97.3g (10.8g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400g leftover stuffing or sausages (skins split, sausagemeat removed)
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1½ tsp chilli flakes
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 150g cooked and peeled chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 100ml double cream
- Small bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- 400g penne
- 30g Parmesan, finely grated
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 3 minutes until starting to soften. Add the garlic and stuffing or sausagemeat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Fry over a medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally (but not too much – you want to end up with lots of crispy bits) until well browned.
- Add the fennel seeds, chilli flakes, lemon zest and chestnuts, then fry for 2 minutes or until the stuffing/sausagemeat is cooked through. Stir through the cream and parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne in a large pan of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain, then return to the pan. Spoon over the ragù, sprinkle over the Parmesan and add a good grinding of black pepper. Serve in warmed bowls.
Rate & review