Sausage, chilli and mozzarella stuffed flatbread
- Online only
- Serves 8
- 40 minutes hands on time, 20 minutes cooking time, plus resting
An easy, yet impressive, recipe using ready-made pizza dough to make a gorgeous spiral stuffed with sausage, mozzarella and chilli. Perfect to take on a picnic or for an al fresco gathering.
- 1tbsp olive oil, plus extra to grease
- 6 free free range herby pork sausages
- 1 fennel medium bulb, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1-2tsp chilli flakes
- 3 x 110g balls ready made pizza dough (we like Northern dough co original frozen pizza dough- you’ll need 2 packs), defrosted
- 150g mozzarella block, grated
- 25g butter, melted
- Heat the oil in a frying pan then squeeze out the sausages from their casings. Break up with a spoon and allow to crisp and turn golden in the pan for 10 minutes, adding the chopped fennel, fennel seeds and chilli flakes for the last 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile divide each of the dough balls into 8 equal portions, cover with a damp cloth. One a time, roll each piece of dough into discs of about 10cm, spoon a row of the sausage mixture across the centre, top with a scattering of mozzarella and bring the circle together to seal in the filling. Set the first one into the middle of an oiled 25cm round cake tin or ovenproof dish and bend round to create a curve.
- Continue to roll and fill the rest of the dough portions, setting them into the tin joining from the centre and going right to the edge in a continuous loop.
- Cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rest for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200’C/180’C fan. Brush with the melted butter and bake for 20-30 minutes or until puffed and golden.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Waldorf potato salad
The traditional Waldorf salad recipe is usually a mixture of apples, celery and walnuts but...