James Martin’s creamy sausage gnocchi
- February 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 45 min, oven time 1 hour 30 min, plus cooling
James Martin‘s homemade gnocchi is served with a gorgeous creamy sausage, chilli and radicchio sauce. A warming dinner recipe for four people.
We’ve got lots more recipes like this, take a look at all our gnocchi recipes.
- 43.4g (21g saturated)
- 61.2g (4.2g sugars)
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 4 British free-range pork sausages, skins removed, meat roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½-1 tsp chilli flakes to taste
- 300ml chicken stock
- 1 large radicchio, cut through the root into wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100ml double cream
- 25g capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh flatleaf parsley leaves, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated zest 2 unwaxed lemons
- 25g parmesan, finely grated
For the gnocchi
- 4 large floury potatoes
- Olive oil for rubbing
- 4 tbsp rock salt
- 75g ‘00’ flour, plus extra to dust
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- Heat the oven to 170°C/fan150°C/gas 3½. To start making the gnocchi, rub the potatoes with oil, then place each one on a tablespoon of rock salt on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 1½ hours or until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat a small frying pan until medium-hot, add half the butter and, when it’s foaming, fry the breadcrumbs until golden and crunchy. Season with salt and pepper, then tip onto kitchen paper to cool. Set aside.
- Next, make the sauce. Heat a frying pan until medium-hot, then melt the remaining butter. Add the sausagemeat, then fry until golden brown all over. Add the shallots, garlic and chilli flakes, then cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock and simmer until it’s reduced by half and the sausagemeat is cooked through. Keep warm.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half and scoop out the flesh, then pass through a potato ricer or sieve into a large bowl. To make the gnocchi, add the flour and egg yolk with some salt and pepper, then mix lightly with a wooden spoon or your fingertips until it forms a soft dough.
- Tip onto a lightly floured work surface, divide into 4 even pieces and roll each into a long sausage. Cut into 2cm lengths and lightly pinch each in the middle.
- Once all the gnocchi are cut, put them on a lightly floured tray and cover with a clean cloth. Boil a large pan of salted water and heat a griddle pan. Toss the radicchio wedges in the olive oil, then char on the hot griddle for 1 minute on each side. Put on a plate and keep warm.
- Drop the gnocchi into the pan of boiling water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until they bob to the surface, then drain in a colander. Add the cream to the sauce, then the drained gnocchi, capers, parsley and lemon zest. Put back on the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Arrange the radicchio on a serving plate, then spoon the gnocchi and sauce over the top. Finish with the parmesan and a sprinkling of the crunchy breadcrumbs.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian comfort food recipes
Baked gnocchi with cream, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce
This recipe of soft, pillowy gnocchi baked in a creamy blue cheese mushroom sauce is...