Crunchy sausage cassoulet with mixed beans
- February 2012
- 2 outdoor-bred Cumberland pork sausage swirls (from Asda, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose)
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 400g tin cherry tomatoes
- 410g tin mixed pulses in water, drained and rinsed
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- Small bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 50g dried white breadcrumbs (we like Sainsbury’s Natural)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, then fry the sausages on both sides for 5 minutes until browned. Remove and set aside, making sure to take out the wooden sticks.
- Add the sliced onion to the pan, then fry for 5 minutes until softened, adding the garlic for 30 seconds at the end.
- Stir through the tomatoes, pulses, rosemary, half the parsley, 50ml water and some seasoning, then transfer to a 1.1 litre (or thereabouts) ovenproof dish, nestling the sausage swirls in the sauce.
- Mix the remaining parsley with the breadcrumbs, then sprinkle over the cassoulet.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes until the sausages are cooked through and the breadcrumbs are crisp.
Rate & review