Sausage ragù with dumplings
- November 2020
- SERVES 4
- HANDS-ON TIME 30 MIN, SIMMERING TIME 20 MIN
Grab a pack of chipolatas and a few storecupboard staples and magic up this super-simple, flavour-packed sausage ragù with dumplings for a hearty weeknight meal.
Or, dump the dumplings and try this sausage and fennel ragù with tagliatelle.
- 22.2g fat (7g saturated)
- 21.7g protein
- 53g carbs (17g sugars)
- 12.5g fibre
- 1.75g salt
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 1 large fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 375g pack pork chipolatas, skinned
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 150g self-raising flour
- 25g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 100g natural yogurt
- 2 tsp chilli flakes to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a hob-safe casserole over a medium heat and fry the onion and fennel for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add the sausagemeat and fry for 3-4 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Stir in the tomato purée and fry for a minute more. Add the tomatoes and a tomato tin of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- For the dumplings, mix the flour and most of the parsley in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Stir in the yogurt to make a soft dough, then gently roll into 8 equal balls.
- Put the dumplings on top of the ragù. Cover and cook for 20 minutes
or until the dumplings are light, fluffy and cooked through. Sprinkle
with the rest of the parsley and the chilli flakes, if using.
Make to the end of step 2 up to 24 hours ahead, cover and chill; or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost, then continue the recipe.
Rate & review