Turkey and chorizo stew with chickpeas
- December 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
Struggling to figure out what to do with all that leftover turkey? Then make this your new tradition: a richly flavoured stew with chorizo and chickpeas. Perfect. And you can make it with leftover chicken, too.
- 30.8g (9.8g saturated)
- 18g (7.1g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g cooking chorizo
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml fresh chicken stock
- 300g leftover cooked turkey or chicken, meat shredded
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice 1 lemon
- Small bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the chorizo and fry for 3-4 minutes until turning crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving the flavoured oil in the pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 8 minutes or until soft and sweet, then add the tomatoes and stock. Turn up the heat to high and bubble to reduce for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and chickpeas with the chorizo and any resting juices, then cook for 3-5 minutes until warmed though. Taste and season with salt, pepper and the lemon juice, then scatter with the chopped parsley and serve.
The recipe is￼ easily doubled.Make the dish in advance but don’t give it the herb garnish. Cool, box up in convenient portions, then freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost, reheat, then garnish and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas turkey recipes
The showstopper of Christmas Day is always the...
Leftover chicken recipes
Had a roast? Wondering what to do with...
Stews, casseroles, pot-roasts and slow-roasts
Find a selection of hearty stews, casseroles, pot-roasts...
Beef mince recipes
Quick and easy to cook with, beef mince...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...