Turkey and chorizo stew with chickpeas
- December 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
Struggling to figure out what to do with all that leftover turkey? Then make this your new tradition: a richly flavoured stew with chorizo and chickpeas. Perfect. And you can make it with leftover chicken, too.
- 30.8g (9.8g saturated)
- 18g (7.1g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g cooking chorizo
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml fresh chicken stock
- 300g leftover cooked turkey or chicken, meat shredded
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice 1 lemon
- Small bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the chorizo and fry for 3-4 minutes until turning crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving the flavoured oil in the pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 8 minutes or until soft and sweet, then add the tomatoes and stock. Turn up the heat to high and bubble to reduce for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and chickpeas with the chorizo and any resting juices, then cook for 3-5 minutes until warmed though. Taste and season with salt, pepper and the lemon juice, then scatter with the chopped parsley and serve.
The recipe is￼ easily doubled.Make the dish in advance but don’t give it the herb garnish. Cool, box up in convenient portions, then freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost, reheat, then garnish and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas turkey recipes
The showstopper of Christmas Day is always the...
Leftover chicken recipes
Had a roast? Wondering what to do with...
Stews, casseroles, pot-roasts and slow-roasts
Find a selection of hearty stews, casseroles, pot-roasts...
Beef mince recipes
Quick and easy to cook with, beef mince...