Scandinavian-style beetroot, apple and walnut soup
- October 2018
- Serves 4 as a starter or a light lunch
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 10-15 min
Beetroot imparts a gorgeous pink hue to this Scandi-style vegetarian soup recipe. Serve with rye bread as a stunning starter.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 27.9g (9.3g saturated)
- 16.6g (15.3g sugars)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 peeled and chopped eating apple
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 chopped red onion
- 75g toasted walnuts
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 300g chopped cooked beetroot
- 200g chopped pickled cooked beetroot
- 8 x 1cm slices of vegetarian goat’s cheese
- Chopped toasted walnuts and a few fresh dill sprigs, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large casserole (with a lid), add the apple, caraway seeds and chopped red onion. Cook over a medium heat with the lid on, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes until caramelised.
- Add the toasted walnuts and cook for another 3 minutes, then pour in the vegetable stock. Add the chopped cooked beetroot and the chopped pickled cooked beetroot (see tip), simmer for 2 minutes, then pour into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan to keep warm and season to taste. Heat the grill to its highest setting. Put the goat’s cheese slices on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, then grill for 4-5 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Divide the soup among 4 warm bowls and top each with 2 slices of goat’s cheese, a sprinkle of chopped toasted walnuts and a few fresh dill sprigs.
Pickled beetroot adds a tang, but if you can’t get hold of it use regular cooked beetroot and a squeeze of lemon.
Make up to 3 days ahead (without the goat’s cheese), cover and keep in the fridge. Freeze individual portions in food bags for up to 3 months.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beetroot, apple and horseradish soup with herb dumplings
Earthy beetroot, sweet apple and firey horseradish make this dumpling-topped vegetarian soup recipe a great...