Seared steak with lentils and veg
- September 2015
- 250g puy lentils
- 200g rainbow or swiss chard
- 100g kale
- 3-4 tbsp extra-virgin oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves
- Handful spring onions
- 2-3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 British steaks (sirloin, rump or onglet)
- ½-1 lemon
- Cook the lentils for 15-20 minutes in a large pan of salted boiling water until just tender. Meanwhile, separate the chard stems and leaves; chop the stems into 2cm slices and tear the leaves into quarters.
- Heat a frying pan with a glug of olive oil, add the chard and kale, then season. Cook over a high heat, tossing, for 2-3 minutes until wilted and tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Drain the cooked lentils, then add to the bowl with 3-4 tbsp olive oil and season. Crush the garlic, slice the spring onions and toss with the lentils and vinegar to taste.
- Wipe the frying pan clean and put back over a high heat. Brush the steaks with oil and season. Fry for 11/2 minutes on each side for rare; 2 minutes for medium-rare; 3 minutes for medium-well done. Rest the steaks for 2-3 minutes.
- Tip any resting juices into the lentils and squeeze in lemon juice to taste. Toss, then serve with the steaks.
Rate & review