Skinny chocolate muffin
- August 2011
- For 12 people
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 15-20 minutes to cook
Use low-fat yogurt and grated beetroot in this chocolate muffin recipe for a low-calorie and delicious treat.
- 5.2g (2.5g saturated)
- 31g (20.6g sugars)
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 175g soft light brown muscovado sugar
- 150g fresh beetroot, peeled and finely grated
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50g good-quality cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100ml low-fat natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 100g plain chocolate (70 per cent cocoa solids), chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and muscovado sugar together for 10 minutes until the batter is light and fluffy and has expanded in volume. Whisk in the finely grated beetroot.
- Sift over the flour, cocoa and baking powder, then carefully fold into the mixture. Fold in the yogurt, vanilla paste and chopped chocolate.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cases until they are three-quarters full, then bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool slightly in the tin. When they’re cool enough to touch, remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter