Chocolate beetroot cake
- February 2009
- Serves 10-12
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 50 minutes-1 hour in the oven, plus cooling
But, beetroot has no place in a cake, we hear you cry! The ingredients in this chocolate beetroot cake work beautifully together – go on, try it.
- 21.8g (8.3g saturated)
- 55.3g (46.2g sugars)
For 12 servings
- 250g plain chocolate, broken up
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 200g light muscovado sugar
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 50g ground almonds
- 250g raw beetroot
For the icing
- 150g plain chocolate
- 100g icing sugar
- 100g soured cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a 22cm round, loose-bottomed cake tin with a little butter and line the base with baking paper.
- Place the plain chocolate in a bowl and set over a pan of gently simmering water. Allow the chocolate to melt slowly until smooth, then set aside to cool.
- Place the eggs, sugar and sunflower oil in a large mixing bowl and whisk together, using an electric hand whisk, for about 3 minutes until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in vanilla extract, then sift over self-raising flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and gently fold in, together with the ground almonds.
- Using a pair of rubber gloves to protect your fingers from staining, peel and grate the beetroot, then squeeze out the excess liquid. Fold the beetroot into the mixture with the cooled chocolate, until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes-1 hour. Cover with foil if the cake browns too quickly. Test the cake by inserting a skewer into the centre to see if it comes out clean. Cool for a little while, then remove from the tin and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the icing, place the plain chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Allow to melt gently until smooth. Set aside to cool, then beat in the icing sugar and soured cream until you have a thick, creamy and spreadable icing. Spread it over the top and sides of the cooled cake and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bundt cake recipes
Carrot bundt cake with honey and cream cheese icing
This gorgeous bundt cake adds a new dimension to the classic carrot cake: it’s perfect...