Smoked haddock, bacon and parmesan dip
- October 2017
- Serves 4-6 as a starter
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 12-15 min
Serve this cheesy dip, made with smoked haddock and crispy bacon at your next dinner party. It’s best enjoyed alongside toasted sourdough and crudités.
- 40.7g (7.9g saturated)
- 33.3g (8.6g sugars)
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- 2 shallots, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tbsp finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 150g undyed smoked skin-on boneless haddock
- 400-500ml whole milk
- 200g mayonnaise
- 100g soured cream
- 40g parmesan, finely grated
To serve (optional)
- 6 sourdough slices, toasted
- 2 chicory, trimmed, leaves picked
- Bunch baby carrots, halved lengthways
- 4 baby cucumbers, halved lengthways
- 1 apple, finely sliced
You’ll also need…
- 2 x 250ml ovenproof baking dishes
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the lardons for 8-9 minutes until crisp, then transfer with a slotted spoon to a medium mixing bowl. Add the shallots and the olive oil to the pan and cook for 6-7 minutes, then add the flour, garlic and rosemary and cook for another minute. Transfer to the bowl.
- Put the fish in the same pan and cover with milk, then bring up to a simmer and poach for 2 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Lift out the fish with a slotted spoon and put on to a plate lined with kitchen paper. Discard the milk.
- Stir the mayonnaise, soured cream and half the parmesan into the bacon and shallot mixture, then season with a good pinch of pepper (no need to add salt as the fish, bacon and cheese are all salty).
- Remove and discard the skin and any bones from the fish, break it into flakes, then carefully mix it into the dip. Put into 2 x 250ml baking dishes and top with the remaining parmesan. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve warm with the sourdough toast and veg and apples to dip in.
Prepare the dip up to the point of baking (step 4) up to 4 hours ahead. Keep covered in the fridge.
Rate & review