Spiced bacon and lentils
- March 2007
- for 4 people
- Ready in 40 minutes
Try our spiced bacon and lentils for dinner one evening. The addition of lovely, salty bacon gives this healthy supper a luxurious edge.
- Dairy-free recipes
Per serving: 493kcals, 12.9g fat (3.6g saturated), 31.1g protein, 68g carbs, 7.6g sugar, 2.6g salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 rashers smoked bacon, chopped
- 450g white potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1.7 litres fresh vegetable stock, hot
- 300g dried red lentils
- Handful chopped fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and lentils, boil, then skim off the scum that forms on the surface. Simmer for 15 minutes, until tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Blitz half in a blender until smooth, then mix into the rest. Season. Divide between bowls, sprinkle with the coriander and serve with warm rustic bread.
This can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat until piping hot to serve. You can make this vegetarian by leaving out the bacon.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...