Spiced bacon and lentils
- March 2007
- for 4 people
- Ready in 40 minutes
Try our spiced bacon and lentils for dinner one evening. The addition of lovely, salty bacon gives this healthy supper a luxurious edge.
- Dairy-free recipes
Per serving: 493kcals, 12.9g fat (3.6g saturated), 31.1g protein, 68g carbs, 7.6g sugar, 2.6g salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 rashers smoked bacon, chopped
- 450g white potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1.7 litres fresh vegetable stock, hot
- 300g dried red lentils
- Handful chopped fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and lentils, boil, then skim off the scum that forms on the surface. Simmer for 15 minutes, until tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Blitz half in a blender until smooth, then mix into the rest. Season. Divide between bowls, sprinkle with the coriander and serve with warm rustic bread.
This can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat until piping hot to serve. You can make this vegetarian by leaving out the bacon.
Rate & review