Dhal chilla pancakes
- August 2017
- Makes 16 pancakes
- Hands-on time 1 hour 20 min, plus 1 hour soaking
”Chilla (light pancakes) are a popular snack in Calcutta and many other parts of India. They taste wonderful with coriander and spinach chutney, or chilli and garlic chutney, and with a dhal or a potato curry.” – Chetna Makan
Or, try our recipe for dosa pancakes – they make a fantastic brunch dish or savoury option for Pancake Day.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 1.7g (0.2g saturated)
- 10.2g (1g sugars)
For the chilla batter
- 200g split yellow lentils (moong dhal)
- 2.5cm fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 small green chilli
- Handful fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g fine semolina
- Sunflower oil for cooking
For the topping
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- Chutney to serve
- To make the chilla batter, soak the lentils in 250ml water for about 1 hour until all the water is absorbed.
- Whizz the lentils in a blender or food processor with the ginger, chilli and coriander until smooth. Tip the paste into a bowl, then stir in the salt, semolina and 350ml cold water.
- Combine the topping ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
- To cook the chilla, heat a large nonstick frying pan and, once it’s very hot, pour a serving-spoonful of the batter into the pan and spread it into a 13-15cm circle. Top with 1 tbsp of the topping mixture, then drizzle 1 tbsp oil around the edges of the batter. Cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on the underside, then turn the chilla over and cook for a further 2 minutes or until golden. Repeat to make 15 more. Serve hot, folded if you like.
Keep the cooked pancakes warm on a baking sheet in a low oven while you cook the rest. Use 2 frying pans at once to save time cooking the pancakes. If you can’t find split yellow lentils, use split yellow peas or red lentils instead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...