Spiced beef with roasted vegetables
- September 2006
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 min to make, 45-50 min in the oven, plus marinating
This recipe combines roast beetroot, red peppers, potatoes and coriander with a lovely piece of spiced roast beef fillet.
- 16g (4.7g saturated)
- 48g (13.6g sugar)
- 10 fresh curry leaves, chopped
- 11/2 tbsp garam masala
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 750g piece beef fillet
- 8 ready-cooked and peeled beetroot (not in vinegar), drained and cut into eighths
- 4 large red peppers, deseeded and cut into large pieces
- 6 large potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- In a bowl, mix together the curry leaves, garam masala, ginger, garlic, lime zest and juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Brush the marinade all over the beef, wrap in cling film and set aside for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Arrange the beetroot, peppers and potatoes in a large non-stick roasting tray, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy-based pan until really hot, add the remaining oil and sear each side of the beef for 1 minute, until brown. Make a gap in the centre of the vegetables and sit the beef in the middle.
- Roast the beef for 30 minutes for medium-rare or 35 minutes for medium. Remove the beef from the roasting tray, loosely cover with foil and set aside to rest.
- Stir the vegetables and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes or until golden and starting to char. Spoon the beetroot, peppers and potatoes onto a platter, along with all the juices from the rested beef, then stir in the coriander.
- Carve the beef into slices and place on a platter. Serve with the roasted vegetables and the salad.
If you can’t find fresh curry leaves (from some large Tesco stores or Asian grocers), use dried.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...