Spiced beetroot rice with lemony beetroot leaves
- June 2015
- 1 litre veg stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 25g ginger, grated
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Crushed seeds of 2 cardamom pods
- 300g basmati rice
- 2 large beetroot with stems and leaves
- ½-1 chopped red chilli
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Bring the stock to a simmer in a pan (keep hot). Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, then soften the onion for 7 minutes over a medium heat. Add the ginger and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cumin seeds and the cardamom seeds.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and stir in the rice. Stir in half the stock, season, then cover and cook for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, peel the beetroot (see tip). Finely chop the stems and roughly chop the leaves, then put in a colander and pour a kettle of boiling water over. Grate the flesh, then stir into the rice with the remaining stock. Cover; cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan, then fry the chopped red chilli for 1-2 minutes over a medium heat. Add the beetroot stems and leaves and the lemon juice. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then serve with the rice. You may need to ask your greengrocer for beetroot with the leaves still on. If you can’t get hold of them, use a small bunch of chard
You may need to ask your greengrocer for beetroot with the leaves still on. If you can’t get hold of them, use a small bunch of chard.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter