Spiced prawn scotch eggs
- April 2017
- Makes 6
- Hands-on time 35 min, plus chilling
Is there anything more enjoyable than slicing open a scotch egg to reveal a perfectly boiled egg with a golden yolk? This spiced prawn version is easy-to-make and even easier to eat.
- 20.9g (3.9g saturated)
- 32.2g (2g sugars)
- Sunflower oil for frying
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- 500g cooked, peeled sustainable prawns
- Handful freshly chopped dill
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ small nutmeg, grated
- 9 medium free-range eggs
- 100g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 150g fresh fine breadcrumbs
- For the prawn casing, heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the shallots for 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl. In a food processor pulse the prawns to a coarse mix, then add to the shallots with the dill, lemon zest and juice, and spices. Mix well, season, then chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the 6 whole eggs into a pan of boiling water and cook at a rolling boil for 6 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water, then shell.
- Divide the chilled prawn mixture into 6 equal portions. With floured hands roll each into a ball and flatten into a disc. Put a disc in your palm, then put a shelled egg on top and use your other hand to wrap it in the prawn mixture. Set aside, then repeat with the other 5 eggs.
- Beat the remaining 3 eggs and put in a shallow bowl. Put the breadcrumbs and flour into 2 other separate shallow bowls. Roll a wrapped egg in flour, then beaten egg, then breadcrumbs, shaking off the excess at each step. Roll the egg in your hands to press in the crumbs, then repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Fill a deep heavy-based pan three-quarters full with sunflower oil, then heat to 170°C on a digital probe thermometer (or until a cube of bread turns golden brown in 30-40 seconds). Deep-fry the eggs, 2 at a time, for 6-7 minutes or until deep golden. You may need to turn the eggs in the hot oil to make sure they brown evenly. Serve hot while the egg is still warm and runny, or cool and chill and serve as a snack.
The cooked, chilled, eggs can be stored in the fridge, wrapped in cling film, for 2-3 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...