Spicy ancho chilli, chicken and chorizo hotpot
- November 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 55 min
The ancho chillies give this hotpot a spicy and smoky kick and is incredibly easy to make. If you’re a fan of food that is big on flavour, and spice, then this is the dish for you.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 19.7g (6.2g saturated)
- 18.7g (6.8g sugars)
- 2 ancho chillies (from large supermarkets, delis and coolchile.co.uk), soaked for 10 minutes in hot water
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g cooking chorizo, sliced
- 8 (about 750g) free-range skinless and boneless chicken thighs, chopped into chunks
- 250ml red wine
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
For the crispy tortilla topping
- 2 flour tortillas
- Zest 1 lemon
- Bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves picked
You’ll also need…
- Lidded flameproof casserole
- Drain the ancho chillies (discard the liquid) and finely chop. Heat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Heat a glug of olive oil in the casserole, add the onion and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the cumin and paprika and cook for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the chopped ancho chillies, ginger and chorizo and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, then add the chicken and wine, bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the wine has reduced by half.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the sugar. Season with salt and pepper, then cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 45-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for a few minutes.
- Prepare the crispy tortilla topping. Heat a dry frying pan over a medium heat and add the tortillas. Toast for 3-4 minutes until scorched and crisp. Leave them to cool, then finely slice into thin strips. Toss the strips in a large bowl with the lemon zest, then sprinkle over the casserole with the parsley to serve.
To make in a slow cooker, prepare everything as in the recipe, but use one tin of tomatoes in step 4, and transfer to a slow cooker. Cook for a minimum of 5-6 hours on a low setting. Continue the recipe from step 5.
Make the casserole to the end of step 4 up to 48 hours ahead. Cool, cover, then chill. Heat on the hob until piping hot, then continue the recipe from step 5.Or freeze in a freezerproof container for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight. Heat on the hob until piping hot, then continue from step 5.
Rate & review