Spicy beef and courgette cannelloni recipe
- May 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 min to make, 45-50 min to cook
Perfect if you’re on a tight budget but still want something wholesome and hearty.
- 20.7g (10.3g saturated)
- 21.1g (2.8g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins cherry tomatoes
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme, plus extra to serve
- 2 large courgettes, diced
- 200g beef mince
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 14 dried cannelloni tubes
- 125g ball mozzarella, torn
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Heat half the olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat and gently fry the onion for 10 minutes until soft and lightly golden. Add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and thyme, then season well with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. Leave to bubble over a low heat.
- Heat the remaining oil in a second pan and fry the courgettes for 5 minutes until golden. Add the beef mince and chilli flakes, then fry until browned all over. Taste, adjust the seasoning, then stir in the lemon zest and crème fraîche.
- Fill the cannelloni tubes with the beef and courgette mixture, then put in an ovenproof dish in a single layer. Pour over the tomato sauce, then scatter over the mozzarella. Cook for 25-30 minutes until cooked through and bubbling. Sprinkle with some extra thyme leaves, then serve.
Make it veggie: Instead of using beef mince, substitute with an aubergine. Dice and cook with the courgettes in step 3.
Rate & review