Spicy beef and courgette cannelloni recipe
- May 2011
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins cherry tomatoes
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme, plus extra to serve
- 2 large courgettes, diced
- 200g beef mince
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 14 dried cannelloni tubes
- 125g ball mozzarella, torn
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Heat half the olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat and gently fry the onion for 10 minutes until soft and lightly golden. Add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and thyme, then season well with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. Leave to bubble over a low heat.
- Heat the remaining oil in a second pan and fry the courgettes for 5 minutes until golden. Add the beef mince and chilli flakes, then fry until browned all over. Taste, adjust the seasoning, then stir in the lemon zest and crème fraîche.
- Fill the cannelloni tubes with the beef and courgette mixture, then put in an ovenproof dish in a single layer. Pour over the tomato sauce, then scatter over the mozzarella. Cook for 25-30 minutes until cooked through and bubbling. Sprinkle with some extra thyme leaves, then serve.
Make it veggie: Instead of using beef mince, substitute with an aubergine. Dice and cook with the courgettes in step 3.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...