Sausage and chickpea meatballs with feta
- March 2013
- Serves 6
- 10 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook, plus chilling
These meatballs made with sausage and chickpea make a delicious and filling meal.
- 14.6g (5.2g saturated)
- 11.5g (3.7g sugars)
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 free-range pork sausages, skins removed
- ½ x 200g pack feta, crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 300ml chicken stock (homemade or from a stock cube)
- 25g fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Pulse the chickpeas in a food processor with the sausagemeat, feta and garlic until just combined (see tip). Season with black pepper and a little salt, then shape into walnut-size balls. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, then brown the meatballs in batches until golden all over. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes and wine vinegar. Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar, then pour in the stock and bubble for 10 minutes. Add the meatballs and simmer for 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Serve scattered with parsley.
Next time use 250g lamb mince instead of the sausages, add 1 tsp ras el hanout spice mix and shape into burgers. Fry, then serve in a bun with aïoli and salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sticky Vietnamese pork meatballs with rice noodles and pickled vegetables
Lemongrass, garlic and lime all contribute to the powerful flavour of this Vietnamese pork meatball...
Chicken pasta recipes
Spaghetti and chicken meatballs in red pepper sauce
These tasty chicken meatballs with spaghetti and red pepper sauce take just 30 minutes to...
Spicy sausage meatballs in tomato sauce with herb rice
Turn pork sausages into meatballs in this quick and easy recipe served with a smoky...