Spicy turkey enchiladas
- January 2013
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook
Turn leftover turkey into this comforting and quick-to-make enchilada recipe.
- 27.6g (13.5g saturated)
- 66.7g (10.9g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for oiling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp chipotle chilli paste (see know-how)
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 250ml fresh turkey or chicken stock
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 400g leftover turkey, shredded
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 5-6 pickled jalapeño slices, chopped, plus a splash of the pickling liquid
- 300ml soured cream
- 40g cheddar, grated
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat and gently fry the onion for 10 minutes until golden and translucent. Add the garlic and chipotle paste and fry for 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, 200ml of the stock and the red wine vinegar. Season with a pinch of sugar, sea salt and ground black pepper, then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. In another lightly oiled frying pan, fry each tortilla for 30 seconds on one side until golden, re-oiling the pan each time. Set aside. Put the turkey in the empty pan and warm through with the spices, remaining stock and pickling liquid. Remove from the heat and stir in the jalapeño slices.
- Divide the turkey mixture equally among the tortillas, then roll them up. Spread one third of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a large ovenproof dish, then nestle in the enchiladas in one layer. Top with the rest of the sauce, dot all over with dollops of soured cream and scatter with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes until bubbling and piping hot. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then serve.
Chipotle peppers are smoked, dried jalapeños, and the paste made from them adds a smoky richness to dishes. The heat level varies, so if you’re worried, add half the amount, taste, then stir in the rest if you want to.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Turkey with sausage, pancetta and apricot stuffing
Impress your guests this Christmas with this flavourful turkey recipe, made with a sausage, pancetta...