Spinach and feta tart
- April 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make and 45-50 minutes to cook
A classic combination of spinach and feta go together to make a gorgeous vegetarian tart. You can use frozen spinach, it’s cheaper and a great time-saver.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 45.7g (25.9g saturated)
- 45g (5.6g sugar)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large red onion
- 500g spinach
- 500g pack ready-made all-butter shortcrust pastry
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 300g (vegetarian) feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Beaten egg, for brushing
- Heat oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/ gas 6.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes until tender. Add the spinach and cook gently until wilted. Squeeze out any liquid and set aside.
- Roll out the shortcrust pastry on a floured surface and use to line a 20cm round tin, leaving 2-3cm hanging over the edge.
- Mix the spinach and onions with 2 beaten eggs, feta and 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill. Season well and spoon into the tart case.
- Fold the excess pastry in towards the centre, brush with beaten egg and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden and set.
To freeze: open-freeze the finished tart before baking. Once solid, wrap well in cling film and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen, allowing an extra 20 minutes’ cooking time or until the filling is piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetable, rice and feta tart
This vegetable, rice and feta tart makes the perfect picnic recipe, come rain or shine.