Spinach and feta tart
- April 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make and 45-50 minutes to cook
A classic combination of spinach and feta go together to make a gorgeous vegetarian tart. You can use frozen spinach, it’s cheaper and a great time-saver.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 45.7g (25.9g saturated)
- 45g (5.6g sugar)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large red onion
- 500g spinach
- 500g pack ready-made all-butter shortcrust pastry
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 300g (vegetarian) feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Beaten egg, for brushing
- Heat oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/ gas 6.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes until tender. Add the spinach and cook gently until wilted. Squeeze out any liquid and set aside.
- Roll out the shortcrust pastry on a floured surface and use to line a 20cm round tin, leaving 2-3cm hanging over the edge.
- Mix the spinach and onions with 2 beaten eggs, feta and 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill. Season well and spoon into the tart case.
- Fold the excess pastry in towards the centre, brush with beaten egg and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden and set.
To freeze: open-freeze the finished tart before baking. Once solid, wrap well in cling film and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen, allowing an extra 20 minutes’ cooking time or until the filling is piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetable, rice and feta tart
This vegetable, rice and feta tart makes the perfect picnic recipe, come rain or shine.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...