Crispy Mexican tortilla rice bowl
- April 2018
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 20 min
Cooking for one needn’t be a chore. This flavour-packed Mexican meal is on the table in just 20 minutes but tastes like it took much longer.
Looking for something else? We have lots more recipes for 1 person for you to try.
- 43.6g (12.4g saturated)
- 61.1g (13.6g sugars)
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 corn tortilla
- 50g roasted red peppers from a jar, chopped
- 50g tinned sweetcorn
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- Small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- Grated zest 1 lime and juice ½ lime
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp soured cream
- 140g pouch Tilda Pulses and Rice (black bean, jerk and coconut)
- ½ ripe avocado, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cut the tortilla in half, then into strips about 1cm wide. Fry in the pan, turning once, for 3-4 minutes until golden and crisp. Set aside on kitchen paper to drain.
- Make a salsa by mixing the red peppers, sweetcorn, onion, most of the coriander and the lime juice in
a bowl, then season with salt and pepper. In a separate small bowl, stir the lime zest and paprika into the soured cream.
- Empty the pouch of pulses into a serving bowl and mix in half the salsa and half the tortilla strips. Top with the sliced avocado and the rest of the salsa and tortilla strips, then drizzle over the spiced soured cream and scatter with the remaining coriander.
Substitute any same-size ready-cooked rice or grain pouch for the Tilda one.
Learn how to assemble this colourful bowl like a pro below…
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Instant chicken salad with tortilla chips
An almost instant no-cook meal using pre-cooked chicken, this salad...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter